Sunday, May 27, 2007

La Vita Dolce

Last night after we got accomidations sorted out (we're staying in an apartment that The Beehive hostel rents out) and taking a night train to Cinque Terre tomorrow night. Yesterday we saw much more of Rome than we anticipated we would have time for - started at Piazza de Populo (where there was a surprise major concert going on), popped into Santa Maria de Populo, got some of Rome's finest pizza, walked through the restidental area of Rome, went to my favorite gelatoria (best moment of the day - the owner, Nicoli, remembered me and we got to catch up in our broken Italian-English mix that I miss so much!), then went to Saint Peter's Square and Basilica - i had forgotten just how amazing it is, then to Castle St Angelo and Pont St Angelo, then Piazza Novona, then the Pantheon and then the Trevi Fountain (dont worry, I tossed a coin into it to make sure I return!) with a side trip to the best gelato in Rome and probably the world, San Crispino. Very very very good day after all!

Today we got up verrry early to go to Rome's huge incredible flea market, Porta Portese (so glad we were here on a Sunday!) where for 40 euro I got an almost new pair of Dolce and Gabbana beauuuutiful shoes, a pair of sneakers (for hiking the Cinque Terre), 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of kaikis, a long skit, and a button up shirt, and a beautiful purse. For 40 euros! The D&G shoes themselves retail at over $400. Now I'm just going to have to figure out how to fit it all in my pack - yikes! :) Its a good thing I left a bunch of room in there when I packed to come over (and threw away a bunch of stuff in Nice that I realized I didnt need). Va Bene - off to spend more quality time with my favorite city!

No comments: